KEYS TO A TRUE PROPHET
The best way that I know of to identify a TRUE PROPHET would be to use the Word of God ALONE to do so. Fact is, if a Prophet IS sent by the Christian God who wrote the Christian Bible, then common sense would be that to identify same would be BY that Christian God's Word...
1. Deuteronomy 18:21-22, "And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him."
The true Prophet of the Lord predicts that which does come to pass. If the Prophet's predictions fail, they are exposed as NOT of God.
2 Numbers 12:6, "And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream."
The true Prophet of the Lord will receive visions or dreams from the Lord
3. Numbers 24:4 "He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:"
Numbers 24:16, "He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:"
When in "vision" their eyes will be open
4. Daniel 10:17, "For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me."
When in "vision" a true Prophet will NOT breath. "Inspiration" = God Breathed, Therefore, since the Almighty is breathing through the Prophet communicating His Truth, the Prophet has no need to breath
5. Daniel 10:17, "For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me."
The true Prophet will collapse with absolutely no strength in him/her
6. Daniel 10:18, "Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,"
Once "touched in the "vision" the Prophet receives supernatural strength.
7. Jeremiah 28:9, "The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him."
A true Prophet will be 100% accurate. there is absolutely no margin for error.
8. 2 Peter 1:20, "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."
A true Prophet NEVER gives his private interpretation. He only shares what the Lord reveals.
Scripture defines Scripture, not man.
9. 2 Peter 1:21, "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
A true Prophet only prophecies in the name of the Lord. He only seeks to glorify the Lord. He will never seek glory to himself. NEVER!
10. 1 Corinthians 14:3-4, "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."
A true Prophet will look to edify, comfort, and uplift the Church body by his testimony as well as exhort them.
11. Isaiah 8:20, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
A true Prophet keeps God's Law, and abides by the testimony of the Bible Prophets as well. If a Prophet does not agree with the Bible Prophet's or does not keep God's Ten Commandments, he is a false Prophet.
12. 1 John 4:1-3, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."
A true Prophet believes and preaches the incarnation of Jesus Christ. He will preach Jesus as God who came to Earth and put on humanity in order to redeem us all.
13. Matthew 7:15-20, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
A true Prophet will show good works, and have identifiable fruits of a Christian. He/she will have abundant BIBLICAL fruits!
14. Exodus 15:20, "And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances."
Judges 4:4, "And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time."
2 Chronicles 34:22, "And Hilkiah, and they that the king had appointed, went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvath, the son of Hasrah, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college:) and they spake to her to that effect."
Luke 2:36, "And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;"
Acts 21:8-9, "And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy."
makes no difference.
Women can, and have been prophet's as well.
15. Acts 2:17-18, "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:"
Age makes NO difference in being a prophet.
16. Matthew 24:24-25, "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before."
Performing miracles proves nothing.
Click here for the biblical facts needed to expose false prophets.